This tomato sauce recipe made with ground beef and a variety of vegetables is a rich blend of flavors with just the right amount of heat. Serve over your favorite pasta and enjoy!
Tomato Sauce Ingredients
- 1 1/2 lb (680 g) ground beef (or ground beef alternative)
- 3 onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3-4 diced Italian tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed chili peppers
- 5 1/2 oz (156 ml) tomato paste
- 28 oz (796 ml) tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes with purée
- 2 cups (500 ml) beef or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper
- Brown the ground beef in a large saucepan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the chili flakes. Add more oil as needed.
- Season ground beef lightly with salt and pepper and then set it aside momentarily in a dish.
- In the saucepan, add the carrots, onions, celery, and garlic with the remaining oil. Cook until softened. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomato paste in with the vegetables and cook on high heat for approximately 1 minute.
- Add the meat, tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, oregano and basil into the saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer gently, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan regularly, for about 2 to 2.5 hours or until it thickens. Add additional salt to taste.
- Serve over pasta and enjoy.
Ready in: 2.5 to 3 hours
We’d love to hear what you think of this tomato sauce recipe, leave us a comment below.