Calzones are a delicious comfort food and a great alternative to pizza. This calzone recipe, made with pepperoni and sun dried tomatoes, is a dish everyone at the table is sure to enjoy. They’re also a great meal to pack for lunch or dinner on the go. We suggest serving them with a simple salad on the side.
Calzone Recipe Ingredients
- 2.5 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 cup water (room temperature to warm is best)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 ounce can of unsweetened tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pizza & focaccia seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed chili peppers
- Himalayan or regular salt, to taste
- Sliced pepperoni (or meatless alternative), cut into smaller pieces
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3-4 sun dried tomatoes, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups freshly grated mozzarella
- 1/2 cup provolone, grated
- Add the yeast, sugar and water into a large bowl, then stir and let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Add half a teaspoon of Himalayan pink salt, olive oil and a cup of flour, then stir it. Add in the second cup of flour and then stir again until combined. Add the remaining half cup of flour and mix by hand.
- Knead the dough on a well floured surface for about five minutes. Add more flour if necessary to ensure it’s no longer sticky.
- Add a teaspoon of oil into a clean bowl. Form the dough into a ball and add it into the bowl with the olive oil. Make sure to coat the dough with the oil.
- Cover the bowl with a towel and place it in a dry warm place for 60 mins.
- Add the tomato sauce, herbs and spices into a sauce pan and stir over medium heat until hot. Remove from stove and let the sauce cool.
- Cook the onions in a skillet at medium heat until soft and golden.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion out until it’s about 8 inches in diameter.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of sauce onto each rolled out portion.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add the toppings – pepperoni (or alternative), sun dried tomatoes, cooked onions and cheese.
- Stretch and pull the dough over the top of the filling and twist and pinch the two seams together.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then let them cool off and enjoy!
Ready in: ~1 hrs 45 mins
Serves: 4 servings
We’d love to hear what you think of this calzone recipe, leave us a comment below.