Lentil soups are known for being hearty and rich. This lentil soup recipe, made with a delicious variety of vegetables and ground beef (or beef alternative) is simple to make and is sure to keep you warm on a cool fall evening. We recommend serving it with some fresh bread.
Lentil Soup Ingredients
- 1 lb ground beef (90% lean) or ground beef alternative
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (46 oz) tomato juice
- 1 cup dried and rinsed lentils
- 2 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 oz frozen (but thawed) chopped spinach
- In a large pot, cook the beef (or alternative) at medium heat until it’s no longer pink.
- Add the water, tomato juice, lentils, cabbage, carrots, celery, onion, green pepper, Himalayan salt, ground black pepper, thyme and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low-medium. Simmer for approximately 60-80 minutes, until the lentils and vegetables are tender.
- Add the thawed frozen spinach and heat for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Serve with some fresh bread and enjoy!
Ready in: 1 hr 30 mins
Serves: 6 servings
We’d love to hear what you think of this lentil soup recipe, leave us a comment below.